Etsy

Hall of Awesome

Saturday, October 31, 2015

There's a Dragon on my Lawn!

It's that time of year again.

The skeleton
Last year, I didn't do a Halloween display in the yard because we were in the process of moving. After a year of moving into the new house, I was finally able to resume the tradition. I was unsure if I was going to do something elaborate because this is a new neighborhood and even tough we've been here long enough for people to wave hello to you, this was basically going to be some people's first impression of us. Did I want to start things off by being THOSE neighbors? Especially for the conservative neighbors who just wanted to retire in peace without any shenanigans. Then I remembered that it is almost my duty as an artist to shake things up. It wasn't like I was putting an 8 foot phallus on the front lawn (mind you, a friend of mine suggested that) I was going to create something to bring joy to all who saw it and perhaps get some conversations started. 



Fleshing out the dragon.
The choices for this years design was: Bat Man, Zombie Attack, Giant Snake and Witches. Because my daughters were big fans of The Lord of the Rings,  I ditched the other ideas and decided to go with a fantasy theme. The winning idea: Dragon.  Thanks to designing the giant robot years back, figuring out how to make something so large was an easy process.
The only hard part I had to use my brain on, was how to make it look more organic. I work with nothing but cardboard boxes, sticks, and paint, so making something smooth had to take a combo of cardboard boxes and paper mâché .
Added head. Notice the large amounts of duct tape which will  have to be covered.
Covering with craft paper gave it more of an organic look.
The best thing about these Halloween displays, it teaches me a new skill. I had no idea what I was doing as I cursed my way thorough this project.










Ta Daaaa!

You can't have a dragon without someone showing up with a sword to slay it.
The final look with lights.
As I had hoped, as I was working on the dragon, lots of people in the neighborhood would slow down driving or walk by and talk to me. It was a great ice breaker.

1 comment:

Bam-Bam said...

That's incredible! I love his retro look! Goes great with the house.

I have an idea who the 8-foot phallus suggestion was from...